Thursday, October 04, 2007

The Science of Sleep

Sleep schedule:  2:30pm to 11:30pm.  1:30am to 8:00am.  I read Neuromancer for the two hours in between.

I have a theory that it's much easier to acclimate to a different sleep schedule than it is to acclimate to a longer/shorter sleep period.  That is to say, as long as the number of hours you sleep at any given time stays the same, it's possible to shift the schedule back an arbitrary amount without ill effect  (shifting forward is much harder, but that's a different story).  I had two sleep periods of roughly 8 hours each, and I'm feeling perfectly adjusted today

This is why naps tend to ruin a full night's sleep-- Sleeping for two hours upsets the regular 8 hour sleep period.  Either you follow a strict polyphasic sleep schedule (e.g. Uberman's) or a strict monophasic sleep schedule.  Anything in between is really hard to do consistently.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

sleepist.

Anonymous said...

Hi Alex-I don't like hearing about spotted dick or sleeping under awnings, etc. I would like to have a different image. Because it's all about ME and sleep deprivation. Love you, Marga