Wednesday, October 03, 2007

Dublin (deux)

I've been here for four hours and I'm already adventured-out.  Fortunately, I've made it through the adversity and ended up at a hostel-- not the one I intended to end up at, but a hostel nonetheless.

It started with my flawed (but very sincere) desire to take the city bus into downtown Dublin.  With the way that airports are privatized here, there are about half a dozen airport shuttles that run (at the least) 6 euro per trip.  After the currency conversion, this ends up evening out to about 310 dollars.  The airport's signs are very misleading.  I found myself literally walking towards what looked like a city center when I saw other backpackers getting on a double-decker bus.  So, I followed them into what seemed to be some sort of two-story, dystopian nightmare on wheels, which somehow dropped me off right in the middle of Dublin.

Score.

But, I still had no idea where I was going.  And it was 6:00 in the morning. Also raining.  I stumbled around looking for something to do and eventually found a 24hour coffee shop full of Americans.  Like most places in the city, though, there was no wireless.  So I stumbled around the city looking for a connection.  I finally managed to get a signal on a weird industrial street corner where I put my bag down and sat homelessly underneath an awning.

Out of sheer luck, I walked pasted the Avalon hostel, which is the place I thought about staying once I heard that the Ashfield was full.  Assuming providence, I booked a single room for the night at the cool price of 30 euro (5882 dollars).

More to come.

No comments: