Sunday, October 07, 2007

Belfast part 2: Neds

Ned (n): Irish chav.

I'm not even sure how anyone can be drunk at 10:30 on a Sunday
morning, much less a 15 year old.

Anyway.

I told myself that I wouldn't hang out with Americans, but it sort of
got away from me last night. I went out with an awesome group of
students (studying abroad in Glascow, on vacation in Belfast) to a few
nearby bars.

The bar nearest the hostel ("the tavern") had a huge, locking, metal
cage in front of the door. There two security cameras pointing down
both adjacent alleyways. Apparently this security system was in
place because a bombing killed some people in the 80s, and they still
won't take it down.

The other bar had a tradtional Irish band covering Achey Breaky
Heart. Id never been more excited to hear that song, I think.

I opted out of the Giant's causeway/Bushmill's distillery tour today
because (for some reason) Whiskey in the middle of the day didn't
sound good to me. Instead I took a train to the Ulster Transport
Museum to learn more about DeLoreans.

Oh, and Im pretty sure a bomb went off when I was looking for wifi in
south Belfast. I guess I should have expected it considering the
mural of a guy holding an AK 47 I passed.

1 comment:

Gregg said...

Alex, hanging out with Americans is not so bad. I do it all the time. Where were they from?